I want to get & use sand to grow some of my plants.
There are different types of sand out there, so any info,.. on what would be the best kind of
sand (or sands) to get for gardening purposes would be much appreciated.
Am supposing River Sand would be good for my purpose (this is mostly for some kinda herbs atm, eg. thyme)
getting any kind of gardening materials/media here easily in Bombay has proven to be a big headache : / (other than the usual clay'ish soil/compost & cocopeat) . I've recently got into a little gardening mostly done in pots in balconies.
Anyone have any knowledge with reference to sand from a gardening point of view ?
- Things like what kind of sand ?
- What mesh (size) ?..or maybe if i can use a mix of different sizes & mix them up and provide a required structure to the soil
- compare horticultural sand or horticultural Grit with River sand
- the different constituents.. of the sand
- I see the reference to Sillpoz sand often while looking around. anyone know what Sillpoz implies ?
* And Finally after deciding on a sand or a few types of sands suitable – if anyone has any references on where to get it.
(was thinking of starting a new thread about references for procuring the sand & leaving this thread for just discussing about suitable sands for gardening )
The other day.. i checked out some (builder) suppliers.. but they just supplied in very high quantities, 500kg minimum, & i'd inquired about silica sand in that case (not river sand)
Sea sand has salt in it so thats not supposed to be good for most plants, also the more rounded kind of shape of the granules, rather than irregular & sharp, doesn't do much for the structure of the soil.
Glad to have a place where gardening can be discussed from a local perspective, – nice well set up forum & interesting stuff.
Thanks a Lot!
Most Users Ever Online: 134
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 142
Newest Members:suby124, elisecx4, sam992, Aveplenepnunc, Justingor, AllanLed, DavidOccap, Donaldnast, jannazn2, RaymondAcads, Mskaptek, WillieSog, efunenujcivab, ozuozpio, ErvinClisy
Moderators: Srikanth: 368
Administrators: geekgardener: 691