May 5, 2014
I have recently decided to use half of the terrace of my second floor appartment for growing plants. For that I have done below -
1. Got the 3 meters by 10 meters green cover for plants (that is used in nurserys) and tied it on iron angels
2. Got hold of a gardener (as I am very new to gardening) and purchased 3 feet long 10 pots
3. From the same gardener I got these ornamental plants -
- Madhumalti bel
- Fucas Panda
Now from my local shop, the shopkeeper gave me normal khaad and Metadol (insecticide) costing about 200/-. But my gardener told me that normal khaad is useless and Metadol is very strong & will harm the plants. So he got some special organic khaad (that comes in plastic pouch) and some liquid insecticide costing about 2000/-. I had no choice but to agree to him.
Now as I have found such good website for novice gardeners as well, I will need your advice -
1. Are there some good classes that I can attend on gardening. That should be good for novice gardeners, not to costly and on weekends.
2. Please explain about the khaad and insecticides
3. And going forward I want to grow vegetables
May 1, 2010
Welcome to this forum. Good to hear about your great start. The thing about normal khaad being useless and organic khaad great is very debatable and also depends on the brand and source. I can tell you this, it wont cost rs 2000. thats for sure. anyway dont sweat over it.
I am not sure about gardening classes. but the best way to learn gardening is to start it and make lots of mistakes and learn along the way. internet is your friend. sow some seed every day. palak, methi, okra. tomato.. etc.. observe them and read about them. a seed can teach you more than any one else.
khaad is a fertilizer and is the food for plants. insecticide is to repel pests. you should not use metadol as it is very toxic and not good for growing vegetables. regarding khaad. unless I know what he gave/bought. cant commet on it.
good luck and keep us posted about your experience. trust me, with gardening, we are all learning... everyday!
March 12, 2014
May 1, 2010
Most Users Ever Online: 134
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 143
Moderators: Srikanth: 369
Administrators: geekgardener: 693