Bok Choy, HK Choi Sum, Corriandr, Onion, Wheatgrass & Pheromone Traps - Nov 17, 2012 | Show off your garden | Urban Gardening, Terrace gardening and Hydroponics

Share this with your garden buddies:

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Bok Choy, HK Choi Sum, Corriandr, Onion, Wheatgrass & Pheromone Traps - Nov 17, 2012
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Srikanth
Serilingampally, Hyderabad
Members

Moderators
November 18, 2012 - 10:51 am
Forum Posts: 365
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello All,

My garden was ruined during my 3 months absence. I had to pretty much start from scratch. Here you can see some of the plants that are doing good.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116266451663587983750/GardenOn17November2012?authuser=0'authkey=Gv1sRgCIj349Sn37KM6gE'feat=directlink

Thanks,

Srikanth

raghu
madurai/tamilnadu
Members
November 18, 2012 - 6:43 pm
Forum Posts: 104

Hai,Sri fine plants.What is wheat grass & its uses?Onion plants looking good,is it small or big onion?What is the age of onion?Is it germinated from seeds?What is the size of your grow bags?Happy gardening.Cool

Srikanth
Members

Moderators
November 18, 2012 - 8:00 pm

Hi Raghu,

I so happened to have some sprouted onions that I have used. They are regular red onions. They are about 50 days old. I now have some seedlings growing from seeds. I plan on growing them in the pro-trays for 2 to 2 1/2 months and then plant them in grow bags. This is a method that my brother uses to grow in his fields.

The grow bag is approximately around 15" tall and 12" diameter.

Wheatgrass is supposed to have many benefits one of which is detoxification. More information see: . I do not vouch for the veracity of the claims though 🙂

The growth you see in the pictures is 7 days after the first cutting.

Thanks,

Srikanth

Vegetable Maker
Vadodara
Members
November 19, 2012 - 2:19 pm
Forum Posts: 29

Hey Srikanth,

Where are all those grow bags gone?

No eggplant , tomatoes or capsicum this time?

thanks,

Manu

Srikanth
Members

Moderators
November 20, 2012 - 6:32 am

Hi Manu,

As I said all my eggplants and Tomatoes were dead during my 3 months of non availability. I had restarted the tomatoes and eggplants but they have been affected by severe infestation of mealy bugs. I managed to get rid of them (had to sacrifice some plants too) with heavy spraying of Neem oil. After that they got struck by tomato and eggplant fruit borers. No amount of Neem Oil worked. I did not want to use any chemical fertilizers this time around. Hence I made the leaves bitter for the worm with Neem Oil and also laid the pheromone lures. The lures seem to be doing its job for now.

As I was going out of country for 3 months there is no way that my family could take care of the hydroponic setup hence I switched over to Organic (cocopeat + oil cakes + animal manure + vermicompost + seaweed) with occasional compost tea. All that my family had to do was water the plants. Of course I did not take into account the ideal conditions for pests.

So far my experience has been that it is easy to grow organic but the pests are higher than in hydroponics. I read somewhere that pests like to attack weaker plants. That could be a reason why there are more pests on my organic plants than I had on the hydroponic plants.

Thanks,

Srikanth

Vegetable Maker
Vadodara
Members
November 20, 2012 - 8:52 am
Forum Posts: 29

Thats sad..wish you all the best getting it back in shape..

Yeah even i had lots of pest issues with organic gardening, neem would just not work. Eggplants & tomatoes had lots of diseases as well.

Eggplant will have beetles, aphids, some of my plants would be full of mild dew..but with hydroponics, surprisingly pests are not a big issues occasional aphids are seen, but not like colonies.. i use garlic spray every week, which i believe keeps it under control..lot of ants are seen but i don't think they are doing any damage. Mealy bug marks are not seen much at least not since i started garlic spray.

sagayvijay
Pondicherry
Members
November 25, 2012 - 12:07 am
Forum Posts: 5

Hi Srikanth,

Where can I get seeds of Onion. I am trying to get one in Pondicherry and don't find one here.

My wishes for rebuilding your garden!

Best way to deal with mealy bug is to hand pick and crush them. You can also flush them out with high stream of water. I had mealy bugs and i dealt them with hand picking and crushing them.

Thanks,

Sagayaraj

raghu
madurai/tamilnadu
Members
November 25, 2012 - 4:49 pm

Hai,Sri thanks for your reply.I got onion sprouts from a local onion seed seller.How many plants can be planted /bags like your bag size?I had prepared medium with sandy loam&leaf &vegi  compost.Thanks,Raghu.

raghu
madurai/tamilnadu
Members
November 25, 2012 - 4:49 pm

Hai,Sri thanks for your reply.I got onion sprouts from a local onion seed seller.How many plants can be planted /bags like your bag size?I had prepared medium with sandy loam&leaf &vegi  compost.Thanks,Raghu.

raghu
madurai/tamilnadu
Members
November 25, 2012 - 4:52 pm
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Srikanth
Members

Moderators
November 25, 2012 - 7:50 pm
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

sagayvijay said:

Hi Srikanth,

Where can I get seeds of Onion. I am trying to get one in Pondicherry and don't find one here.

Thanks,

Hi,

I am not sure where you can get some. I have some F1 Hybrid Onion Seeds. If you want I can send you some. PM me you postal address.

Thanks,

Srikanth

Srikanth
Members

Moderators
November 25, 2012 - 7:52 pm
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

raghu said:

Hi Raghu,

I am  not really sure how many per bag. I would go with something like 10 to 15 per bag. If required I can always thin them later. Do remember that generally you get one onion per seed.

Thanks,

Srikanth

Forum Timezone: Asia/Kolkata

Most Users Ever Online: 134

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Satish: 186

snorkel4u: 147

raghu: 104

premlatha18: 94

shweta: 89

Jay: 87

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 139

Members: 2261

Moderators: 1

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 3

Forums: 17

Topics: 1194

Newest Members:

Malinikumar, Jay_1, Kalpakam., santosh, priya venkatesh, Padma sridhar, vanitha, Shruti passy, Aruna, RISHMAT, balamumbhai, ranju83, Sowmya.ragu, sindhujc, chaitanya

Moderators: Srikanth: 365

Administrators: geekgardener: 691