I am fresher in gardening and would like to your views
I am residing in an individual house with small peice of area available in my backyard (should not use this word, as its just 4 feet width between house and compound) with which i am planning to kick start my gardening project. As of now this area is filled with rubbish (i.e. mixture of bricks, concrete , etc) to make conreate flooring. But i am thinking not to have the flooring, instead i can start growing some vegetables. I would need your guidance on my basic queries
- What type of soil needs to be filled in after removing the rubbish? Is there any place where i can get the soil?
- How to treat the soil
- What type of plants i can grow (i.e banana, curry leaf, etc) and where can i get seeds
- Any other suggestion?
- Any nursery near Medavakkam, Velachery, Madipakkam areas
Awaiting to hear your views.
Thanks & Regards
East facing - Post noon would have to be very little sunlight. Anyway, assuming that there is plenty of sunlight then you would have to start of in this manner.
- Remove all big rocks and stones.
- Dig up and get rid of all cement and construction debris if any up to a depth of 3 feet if not more.
- Fill it with good red soil and composted manure (see below of composition of manure)
- If you can get hold of cocopeat at an economical price then go for it as it aids is aeration for the roots
- Composted Cow/Horse/Sheep/Chicken or a combination - 1 Part
- Vermicompost - 1 Part
- In case you have some granite dust then you can use that as well in small quantities
I would use two parts of soil+cocopeat (optional) to one part of manure.
Generally nurseries sell red soil and manure mixture. It is cheaper to get a tractor loads of res soil and manure separately. I am not sure where you would get them in Chennai. Maybe other forum members will help you with that.
You can grow any plant / trees as you need.
If you are willing to travel a bit, The Agri-Horticultural outlet on Cathedral Road in Chennai(opposite senmozhi poonga) sells good quality soil+manure mixture at reasonable rates. But you have to bring bags/sacks for the same.They have seeds also. At times they sell seedlings as well. They are closed on Thursdays.
Another really good place for seeds is the street next to ranganathan Street in Mambalam, T nagar.
You could start with a banana sucker, a curry leaf, a drumstick plant. And plant easy growing greens like Spinach and Fenugreek. The Geek Gardener has all the tips!!! (Thanks GG!)
Good luck with your Green thumb!
Most Users Ever Online: 134
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 140
Newest Members:CharlesTub, AlbertHem, Kolxoznik, CharlesSTO, Santosh singh, Jimmywaimb, Jamesoxirm, ClintonMap, Timothyemome, bugenergy, rdarwin, Genrytomglall, GoatGarden, nisha, Arymxurlict
Moderators: Srikanth: 365
Administrators: geekgardener: 691