I want to grow capsicum in containers in my balcony. Can I use the seeds of the capsicum which we buy from the market. what is the right procedure of doing it.. plz share your experiences..
GG would love to hear from you on this..
you can read me at http://kaivizdreamzone.blogspot.in/
I planted capsicum seeds that i bought they germinated very well and grew well to 6true leaves then I was out of station for 9 days n I come back to see all bent over and dead...obviously my servant wasn't careful about watering them.. Anyway I'm trying again now. Oh btw I'm living in Delhi NCR and i was growing them inside in lil pots was gonna harden them off when they were big enough n plant them in the ground outside capsicums like sun so delhi climate should be good for them..idk about other places..
I got the seeds from a nursery in chattarpur they have a pic of green capsicum on the cover but I thought that dint matter. Doesn't capsicum change colour as it matures? =S that's what I read on the net that if you leave the green ones on they will first change to yellow then red n you can pick them at whichever stage you want.
Hi.. i am Aruna from Bangalore.. Planning on growing capsicum in my balcony.
1. I am planning to use a potting mixture of vermicompost, red soil and cocopeat in the ratio 1:1:1. Wanted to know if that would be ok?
2. I am planning to first sow the seeds in a cocopeat medium. Will this work?
3. My balcony gets around 2-3 hrs of sunlight. Will that suffice?
4. Planning to use the seeds in the capsicum that I bought from the market.
5. What are the kind of organic fertilizers that I should be using for capsicum?
Thanks in advance
1. You might need around 1:1 of vermicompost though 1:1:1 should be good enough for seedlings for the first few weeks.
2. I suggest you use cocopeat + vermicompost for raising the seedlings. That way you do not have to worry too much about nutrients for the first 30 odd days until you are ready for transplanting.
3. Probably not. You need around 6 hours at least.
4. No. Most of the capsicums are Hybrid. They would be no good for seedlings.
5. You can use a combination of oil cakes and manures.
I got some seeds from a Nursery in Chennai. I have sown the seeds in two separate pots. Both of them have germinated and have given out about 6 - 7 true leaves. I do not have a green shade. Is it a necessity to grow capsicums? Should I place the pots in shade so that they do not get affected by direct sunlight and radiation?
My capsicum seeds didn't turn up but for this season I have some very healthy tomato (normal one called as "Desi") and Egg plant saplings available with me. I grew them from seeds and have transplanted some of them in my balcony garden.
Since my last post in this thread, what I notice on my plants is that the ant like pests have 'left' my plants. They are no longer seen on my plants. I did not add any pesticide - natural or artificial - to them. Not sure why they chose to leave.
Today, I also see small buds developing from the top most leaf bunch. I assume these to be primary flowers and not sure if they would develop into fruits.
I shall keep you posted.
Without my intervention, there is a chilli plant that grew on its own from the kitchen wastes. It is doing well and is bearing many chillies.
My capsicum plant has started yielding. I have now, on the plant, three fruits. It is very saddening to see that after these, aphids attached my plant and inhibited further formation of flowers.
Here are some pics:
Most Users Ever Online: 134
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 139
Newest Members:Malinikumar, Jay_1, Kalpakam., santosh, priya venkatesh, Padma sridhar, vanitha, Shruti passy, Aruna, RISHMAT, balamumbhai, ranju83, Sowmya.ragu, sindhujc, chaitanya
Moderators: Srikanth: 365
Administrators: geekgardener: 691