Top 20 gardening mistakes new gardeners make
It is human nature to not let our mistakes be known outside. We are also encouraged to learn from others mistakes. So unless the mistakes are shared, one cannot really benefit from it. In this post, I am going to share the mistakes new gardeners make(including myself). We all make mistakes and in gardening that results in the killing of plants sometimes. I have killed more plants than many of you. I started this post to write top 5 mistakes that people make, but then the list kept increasing as I started recollecting the my experiences and my experience after discussing with customers who visit my store.
So without further ado, here goes the list of top 20 mistakes beginners make. You better read this, before you start a garden!
- Not giving enough light to plants
- Watering them too little or too much.
- Watering them on their leaves.
- Underfeeding /Over feeding Plants
- Sowing one too many seeds and Not thinning them
- Not labeling the plants or taking notes.
- Choosing a container that is too small
- Planting plants that are either non-native or out of season
- Giving a wrong fertilizer to the plants
- Not pruning or over pruning
- Improper spray application/too much pesticide
- Transplanting too late
- Planting too close
- Planting too deep / planting too shallow
- Planting bulbs/cuttings upside down.
- Letting weeds/pests take over.
- All at once or nothing/ No staggered planting
- Not knowing when to harvest. Too soon or too late.
- Emotional Meltdowns.
- Not knowing how the seedling would look like. Nurturing a weed.
Its not end of the world, if something goes wrong. Keep calm and garden on!
Now tell me which is your favorite?